Local companies under our umbrella
Grassroots Group Holdings
Grassroots is a global leader in the production of scrumptious, innovative health snacks using proprietary technology to process fruit and vegetable pulp, as well as dairy. The company supplies under its own brand name, private label and bulk business which include, among others, the Simple Truth range of health snacks and the Oh My Goodness range (from Gordon Ramsey) at Shoprite and Checkers stores.
Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts
Montagu is a trusted South African brand, known for our moreish array of dried fruit and nuts. Our bright orange branding, reflecting our beloved small-town values and philosophy of providing ‘sunshine in a packet’, is well-recognised amongst consumers.
Our brand is regarded as a pioneer in the snacking industry for offering a delicious and diverse range of modern snack options that support consumers who aspire to lead a healthier lifestyle.
In 2018, Montagu became a part of the Acorn Agri and Food family – a leading South African vertically integrated agriculture and food group with a hundred-year legacy. As part of this transformation, Montagu has grown significantly to hold both local and international distribution and supplies products to speciality stores as well as numerous retail stores and convenience stores across the
“We offer a healthier snack option for people who want to live better.” – Montagu
The Health Food Group has since 2008 – via its Grassroots subsidiary – been the sole supplier to BEAR, a UK-based company that offers health fruit and vegetable snacks primarily for children. BEAR products have become the preferred choice of health snacks for leading UK retailers and the company has already captured 43% of the children’s health snack market. Grassroots played a key role in its partnership with BEAR to ensure consistency of supply and the company is now ready for new ventures.
New international brands in the UK and Europe are also coming on board. Through this we are able to reach even more consumers globally.
Such international exposure and different product offerings ensure that The Health Food Group stays close to the consumer where it can anticipate and proactively act upon changing trends and preferences in the healthful snack industry.
When it comes to people, communities and the environment, The Health Food Group is committed to creating sustainable social and economic growth in the geographical areas and communities where we are located.
The Group is currently involved in the following social empowerment projects:
- Path Out of Poverty (POP) centres, which focus on youth empowerment and poverty alleviation.
- Rise Up Bakery, owned by five proud persons from a previously marginalised community, supplying freshly-baked bread to Grassroots’ employees and local crèches in their community.
- Montagu has partnered with the Community Action Partnership (CAP) and the CAPability protective workshop, where people living with disabilities produce a variety of innovative products for the Montagu and other private label brands.
- 90% of Grassroots’ employees are female.
- 5% of the production time at Grassroots is spent on training through a world class manufacturing training programme.
- Grassroots’ production facility is self-sustaining, using solar power and waste water treatment to minimise its environmental impact.